How do I adopt a pet from Sarge’s?

If you see a pet that you like on our website or in our Petfinder.com listings, you can contact Sarge’s by phone or email to find out more about it. If it sounds like the right pet for you, please submit an adoption application. You can either do that online or you can visit the office and fill out a paper application. Office staff or a volunteer adoption coordinator will contact you to follow up. Arrangements will be made for you to meet the pet and if all goes well, take your new pet home. We do adoptions every day of the week – not just on Saturdays!

Why does Sarge’s prioritize accepting Haywood County shelter animals into the rescue program?

Sarge’s mission is focused on helping the animals in the Haywood County Animal Shelter.  Our efforts have helped increase the “live release rate” from the shelter so that they are now designated a “no-kill shelter”. We must maintain those efforts in order to help our county shelter continue to achieve that status.

How do I become a Sarge’s foster home?

Please fill out a volunteer application to start the process of learning more. Our foster homes do more than just open a space at the Adoption Center. They provide an opportunity for homeless pets to receive extra attention, basic training and social skills, and experience loving human companionship while they wait to find a forever family.

How can I find it a new home for a pet that I can’t keep or a stray that I found?

If you’ve been taking care of a stray animal, the first thing to do is try and find its owner. Some of these same methods can be used to find a new home for a pet that you can no longer keep:
• Please call the Haywood County Animal Shelter at (828) 456-5338 to do a “found animal” report.
• Facebook, Twitter, Instagram! Social media is a powerful tool for finding a pet’s owner. Post a picture and description on the group Facebook page, “Finding My Way Home”.
• Have a veterinarian check for a microchip! The Haywood County Animal Shelter and Sarge’s can also scan for a chip.
• Put an ad in the newspaper
• Put posters in local veterinarians’ offices, the Haywood County Animal Shelter and other locations in your neighborhood
• You can post a listing on Petfinder.com.

Do you offer a low-cost spay/neuter program?

No, but Haywood Spay/Neuter does! Please check www.haywoodspayneuter.org or call (828) 452-1329.