Foster For Sarge’s Animal Rescue Foundation
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Sarge’s foster parent. Foster homes save lives – for every animal you foster, it allows us to offer the space in our shelter to another rescue animal and save another life. Foster parents provide temporary care for cats, kittens, dogs and puppies in their own homes. Some animals need as little as one week of care, while others may need care for up to three months or longer. You are not committed to fostering an animal until it is adopted. There is lots of flexibility in fostering!
Sarge’s provides: all veterinary care, medicine, food, crates, and litter for foster animals plus plenty of support to foster parents.
Foster parent volunteers provide: time, a place in their home and lots of love, information about how their foster is coming along, and transportation to periodic adoption events.
Our Needs Are:
- Adult dogs (small, medium, and large)
- Adults cats
- Cats with litters
- Dogs with litters
Fostering is flexible enough for most lifestyles and Sarge’s will custom-match the animals to each foster home. By offering your time, energy and home to an animal in need, you prepare the animal for adoption into a permanent home as well as help prevent overcrowding in our shelter. We are always looking for more foster homes, especially throughout the busy spring and summer seasons. However, every animal benefits from being in foster home, regardless of the season!
How Foster Care Works
- There will be plenty of opportunities to foster, so there is no pressure to take a specific animal if you are hesitant.
- Foster parents come to our shelter located in Waynesville, NC to pick up the foster animal to take home. At that time, volunteers receive information about the animal’s condition and needs.
- Foster parents may need to bring the animal to Sarge’s periodically to be examined by our team, receive vaccinations, or have new photographs taken.
- Foster parents may need to bring the animal to Sarge’s periodically for adoption events. Fosters can drop off at the top of the day and pick up at the end of the day. You are not required to attend the event.
- Sarge’s medical team will complete final steps necessary to prepare the animal for adoption.
Want to know more about volunteering to foster an animal? We love to answer questions! Please email email@example.com to learn more!
If you’re interested in fostering with Sarge’s, please follow these steps:
- Be of age. The primary caregiver of the foster animal must be at least 18 years old. However, many of our adoptables benefit from time with young people at home. We have foster families of all types – single people, roommates, couples, and families with children.
- Be in the area. Foster volunteers must be able to get our adoption center in Waynesville, NC on a regular basis. Please consider the potential commute before applying to volunteer.
- Please fill out a foster application.
- Attend foster training. You will learn about program expectations, basic medical information, and have all your questions answered.
- Start saving lives. Sarge’s will match you with the foster animals that suit your lifestyle.
Please note Sarge’s cannot accommodate those seeking to fulfill court-ordered community service.